Mr. Henry Steel the principle of the Hillsborough Government
School informs us that his school had serious problems prior to Ivan
and we understand from him that monies from the World Bank have been
allocated for rebuilding it.
Snarled galvanise from the roof resting in the damaged trees
in the grounds.
Below the devastation within the class rooms. What is most disconcerting
is the significant damages done to teaching materials, children's
books and equipment.
All available records of the school dates back to 1956, the year
after Hurricane Janet struck in September 1955. The building was destroyed
by Janet and work to reconstruct started in February 1956. After the
passage of Hurricane Janet, classes were held under tents at the recreation
grounds. Classes resumed on 31 October 1955.
Hillsborough Government School was established sometime
in the 1820’s. It is believed that it was the first public
school in Carriacou. There is no record of the establishment of
the present building at Beausejour.
The 235 pupils are now being housed in the public library and
the community centre.
Mr. Henry Steel the principle of Hillsborough Government School
is concerned because there is inadequate drinking water and very
Students are being encouraged to bring bottled boiled water from
The present structure which is now down for total demolition was repaired
several times, the last being between 14 November 1980 and 28 April 1981.
Some work was done to change the windows from glass to wood in August
The school, which is now housed at the Community Centre and the Hillsborough
Secondary School’s Auditorium (it was housed at Auditorium in 1980-1981)
now has a population of 240 students and 8 teachers. The school’s
capacity is 300 students but evidence shows that in 1967 there were as
many as 683 students and that there were as many as 67 students in one
It is not quite clear who the first principal was and how many there
were but in the period before Janet, the name Mr. St. Hill came up. Mr.
R.E. Noel was the principal during Janet and stayed until 31 August 1972.
Mr. Uthan Samuel acted for a brief period 7 March to 31 August 1967, when
Mr. R.E. Noel was made Parliamentary Secretary for Carriacou. Following
Mr. Noel there were: Mr. Patrick Compton 1972 -1980
Mr. Justin Benjamin 1980-11983
Following Mr. Benjamin, the present Principal, who had served at L’Esterre
Roman Catholic School as a teacher, at Six Roads Government School as
Principal and at Dover Government as Principal took over on 25 January
1983. The present Principal is Mr. Henry Stiell.
Within recent years, many changes have taken place in Education, and
Hillsborough Government School also had its share of changes. The hours
of instruction was changed from 9.00am – 3:30pm to 8:30am –
2:30pm in April 1986. The School uniform was changed from blue and white
to green and white in September 1995.
The years following saw the adoption of a school song, a school prayer,
a school pledge, a school crest and a mission statement. The school’s
motto was already in place. It says:
“MAKE YOUR BETTER BEST”
In September 2003, a school policy was adopted. There is a functioning
Parent-Teacher Association in place which meets once a month.
(1) Water supply
(2) Ventilation in the Community Office
(3) Additional Staff
(4) Furniture for Students and Staff
(5) School Supplies: Chalk, registers, dusters, books, paper, cartridge
for photocopier, toilet tissues, first- aid supplies
(1) computer and printer
(2) Library Books
(4) Wall Charts and Maps
(5) Any other items necessary for Educational Purposes
Click on the 'School twinning' dropdown below to visit other schools on