home >> christopher
CARIBBEAN TRUST- CODRINGTON, CHRISTOPHER (1668-1710),
Christopher Codrington was a British soldier and colonial
governor, whose father was captain-general of the Leeward Isles, he was
born in the island of Barbados, in 1668. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford,
he was elected a fellow of All Souls, and served with the British forces
in Flanders, where he was honoured with captaincy in the Guards.
In 1668 he attended King William III. on his visit to
Oxford, and was chosen to deliver the University oration.
In 1697, on the death of his father, he was appointed
captain-general and commander-in-chief of the Leeward Isles.
In 1703 he commanded the unsuccessful British expedition
against Guadeloupe. After this he resigned his governorship, and spent
the rest of his life in retirement and study on his Barbados estates.
He died on the 7th of April 1710, bequeathing these estates
to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts for
the foundation of a college in Barbados. This college, known as the Codrington
college, was built in 1714-1742. To All Souls College, Oxford, he bequeathed
books worth 6000 and 10,000 in money, out of which was built and endowed
the Codrington library there.
Permission requested to use information from http://www.cavehill.uwi.edu
Codrington College offers training for candidates to the
sacred Priesthood. In addition the College continually seeks ways in which
to serve the Church and the wider community. The College has recently
moved towards a MA Degree in Theology. The College is located in the Diocese
Of Barbados of which, until recently, the Right Reverend Rufus Brome was
Bishop. An election will be held shortly to choose his successor.
Situated in beautiful and tranquil surroundings on the
Atlantic Coast of Barbados, Dr. Bindley, a former Principal, was once
moved to describe it as 'Oxford adapted to the tropics.'
Codrington College is the oldest Anglican Theological
College in the Western Hemisphere. It was established by the will of General
Christopher Codrington who died in 1710. On 9th September 1745, Codrington
College was opened as grammar school, this was the first step along a
road that is marked with commendable academic achievements. By the year
1829, Codrington had become a full-fledged College, a step closer to the
realization of the hope of its founder Christopher Codrington whose desire
it was to have an academic institution in which persons could be trained
in 'Physics and Chirugery as well as Divinity.' In 1831 the College was
almost totally destroyed by a hurricane, after which the present building
Since its affiliation to the University of Durham, England
in 1875, it has maintained high academic standards. In 1955 with the opening
of the University College of the West Indies, the Classical Faculty of
the College was closed. The College became an affiliate of the University
of the West Indies in 1965, preparing candidates for the Licentiate in
Theology (L Th) and the Bachelor of Arts (BA) (Theology).