home >> make
jesus smile>>christmas 2007
School - history
Society Primary School is one of the Educational
Institutions constructed on two large sugar Plantations owned by
a wealthy sugar planter called Christopher Codrington 111. He inherited
this fortune from his father and grandfather Christopher Codrington
1 and 11. Society Primary School does not have an origin of its
own but its history is intrinsically rooted in the history of the
The plantation which is called
Society and College Estates is divided into two sections The Upper
Estate is called Society and the Lower Estate College. These two
Estates are well over six hundred acres. On the upper Estate are
the Lodge School and Codrington High School, Society Primary School
and Holy Cross Church. On the lower estate are Codrington College
and St Mark's Anglican Church.
In 1703 Christopher Codrington 111 was going off
to war to fight against the French in the island of Guadeloupe.
He was a colonel in the army, Vice Admiral of the Caribbean Seas
and Governor of the Leeward Islands. As most soldiers do, he sat
down before he left and made his will.
He left some valuables bequest to some of his friends
and to his old College All Souls Oxford. Then he thought of his
sugar plantations in Barbados and wondered to whom he should leave
them. After some thought, he left his tow Plantations in Barbados
to the Society for the propagation of the Christian Religion, in
foreign parts. This is later to be know as t he S.P.G. It was also
his desire to have the Plantations continued nd three hundred negro's
at least kept always thereon. In short he wanted to find a College
for training medical missionaries to be paid out of the profits
of the two sugar plantations.
In 1717, the foundation stone was laid and Codrington
College was begun, However it was not until 1830 that the College
could function as a real Theological College as was set out in the
In 1821 Holy Cross Chapel was built to provide Religious
Teaching for the workers on the estates, It was called Holy Cross
in remembrance of the fact , that on Good Friday Christopher Codrington
died. In the early 18t century, St Mark's Chapel was constructed
and in 1824 the boys who attended the College were moved to the
Chapel's Lodge on the Upper Estate where it still is today. It began
to be referred to as The Lodge School.
In the early 19th Century other buildings were erected
on the Plantations The Rawle Training College for Men teachers in
1913 and a similar one for women in 1914.
A school for boys and girls was situated where Codrington
High School is presently located. Classes were conducted there
for children of the plantation laborers. They were given instructions
on religious Education and the three r's.
In 1914 when Bishop Anstey became Principal of Codrington
College a small school was built next door The pupils were transferred
to this school which became know as Society Boys and Girls School.
The other building was then remodeled and opened its door in 1915
as Codrington High School.
Society Boys and Girls School after it opened in
1914 have had approximately twelve Head teachers. This building,
along with the others which were constructed in the early 19th century
were made possible by a legacy of 16,500 pounds left to it by the
owner of one of the estates.