The island tour starts on the south coast not
far from the historic area of the Garrison Savannah which is now
home of the Barbados Turf Club.
Seen here the Barbados Museum, once
a military prison, is one of several buildings that make up
the historic St. Ann's Garrison area. The oldest part of the
building was constructed around 1820. It is a fine example
of Georgian architecture.
The Garrison was constructed by the British, designed
to house the British army, in 1789. The Garrison was described
in its day as having one of the finest parade grounds in
the West Indies.