2. "Where do you get the water to pour into the filter?
Use the same source of water every day.
3. "Can you show me the water you pour into the filter?"
Pour clear water into the filter (or mostly clear)
If the water is too dirty, let it sit a bucket until the dirt settles to the bottom. Then pour the clear water into the filter. This will make sure the filter doesn't clog quickly.
6. "May I take out the diffuser to see the sand?"
The surface of the sand should be flat and level
If there are small holes or dents in the sand, look at the diffuser to see if it has cracks or if it does not fit tightly in the top of the filter
If there are big holes and valleys in the sand, ask the user if they sometimes pour water into the filter without the diffuser. Remind them to always keep the diffuser in the filter.
8. Can we fill the filter to check the flow rate?"
The flow rate should be 340 mls per minute or less
If you are filling a 1 L bottle, it should take 2 minutes 54 seconds or longer to fill
If you are using a 500 ml bottle, it should take 1 minute 27 seconds or longer to fill
If the flow rate is very slow, ask the user:
"Was the flow rate faster when the filter was first installed, or has it always been this slow?"
"Have you ever done a Swirl and Dump?"
Ask them to show you how to do a Swirl and Dump.
Show them again if they do not remember. Explain that this will help the flow rate become fast again.
9. "Do you clean the filter? How do you clean it?"
Wash the diffuser and lid in soapy water and keep the outside of the filter clean
Wipe the outlet tube with a clean cloth and chlorine
10. "Has the flow rate ever become too slow? What did you do?" (only ask this if you did not ask them before.)
Do a Swirl and Dump on the top of the sand
"Can you show me how to do a Swirl and Dump?"
Add water, take out the diffuser and swirl their hand around, flat on the sand. Then scoop and dump out the dirty water in the top of the filter.
11. "What containers do you use to collect water from the source? Can you show me? Can you also show me what containers you store your filtered water in?"
Use one container to pour dirty water into the filter, and a DIFFERENT container to collect the filtered water at the outlet
Use a safe storage container to catch the filtered water
Store drinking water covered with a lid to keep dirt and insects out
12. "Do you do anything to the filtered water before you drink it?"
Disinfect the filtered water, such as by using chlorine, or boiling water.
If the users add chlorine, ask them where they put the chlorine.
Put the chlorine in the safe storage container only. They should NEVER put chlorine in the top of the filter.
13. "Do you clean your water container?
How do you clean it?"
Wash the inside of the safe storage container with soap and treated water
If chlorine is available, they should add chlorine to the water and let it sit for 30 minutes
Wipe the tap with a clean cloth and chlorine
Download Handout #15 - Follow-Up with the User
SOWING SEEDS OF SUCCESS - MORINGA CURRICULUM